Tuesday, July 15, 2008

…Past simple…

FORM : [VERB+ed]

Ex

Affirmative: I had breakfast at 8 o’clock.

Negative: You didn’t had breakfast at 8 o’clock.

Interrrogative: Did she had breakfast at 8 o’clock?

Use

Use the Simple Past to express the idea that an action started and finished at a specific time in the past.

The verb auxiliary is did for the negative and for the interrogative in third person is the same. For do the interrogative sentences used When...? and How long...?.

Express an action indefinite in the past: I saw a movie yesterday.

Express an action usual in past: I never drinked trina

Express a condition unlikely: If I saw her, I should speak to her.

Past continous

FORM : [was/were + present participle]

Ex

Affirmative: You were studying when she called.

Negative: You weren’t studying when she called.

Interrogative: Were you Studying when she called?

Use

Use the Past Continuous to indicate that a longer action in the past was interrupted. The interruption is usually a shorter action in the Simple Past.

Express that a longer action in the past was interrupted: I was watching TV when she called.

Express actions in the past that take place at a particular time: What were you doing last evening at 8:45?

Express two actions in the same sentence: I was studying while he was making dinner.

Bibliography

PAST CONTINOUS

PAST SIMPLE

No comments: